little miss messy hair

2005-03-14

topaz

west of delta is the topaz concentration camp, used to hold Japanese prisoners (two thirds of whom were American Citizens) during WWII. The camp has been razed: the only building site consisting of more than a concrete slab is the administration building, which still has part of its stone foundation.

a plaque describing the reasons behind Topaz, and other concentration camps of its like, stands on the main street in Delta and has directions to the camp site.


recently, a monument has been built at one of the entrances to the camp:


complete with touches from the former prisoners (?):


from the 'T'


you can drive through the camp on the old roads overtaken by sage brush. someone has gone through and placed signs at the cement slabs, stating what once stood at each location. that same person, made this sign, memorializing James Hatsuki Wakasa, who was killed while running where? where could you run to out here?


this is the only place with anything but emptyness on the concrete slab: the site of the buddhist church:


as we left the area, we were destracted by another structure and walked from the main road to explore. it appears to be the remains of a truck loading and unloading area, complete with abandoned vehicles



an early biodiesel?



2 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger marirob said...

Wow - really interesting photos. I didn't know much about Topaz, but I want to go to the Manzanar camp soon. They built a museum recently that I've heard is very well done. We've been talking about the relocation in my Multicultural Education class so it was such a coincidence to see these photos!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger erin said...

We never really learned much about things like Topaz in the midwest, and since I've moved to CA I'm amazed at its history of migration and migrants. I'm impressed by the sign's words - I only wish I could say I was certain that we've learned from things like this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home